Thursday, May 11, 2006

Why, oh why, do I try various styles?

Last year, I picked up some Expedia spinoff shares. Joel Greenblatt says pick up spinoffs, right. How are they doing? Oh, just wonderful. Without charges, they still missed estimates by 7 cents.

Will they turn around? Who knows. Revenues are not growing. Perhaps hotels.com, southwest.com, travelzoo, and the host of others are cutting into business.

I am very tempted to sell. But tomorrow, these guys will be selling below their book value.


Hhhhhmmmmmmm.

Nevertheless, I have tried following Value Line, IBD, and now spinoffs. Yet I only have success when I look at the ratios then the annual reports. Call me a contrarian.

It's ok. It seems to pay.
****************************
Other disappointing spinoffs that I have bought: THS and ABD.
Even DISCA does not move ever.

1 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger J said...

Friendly, You seem to buy on the basis of indices and are not doing the legwork Joel Greenblatt advices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home